- WHAT CAN BE DONE ABOUT GRAFFITTI?
- Report it to:
- Police / Sheriff Non-emergency 575-758-2216 (weekends or Holidays)
- OR - If you witness it occurring, 9-1-1
- Online - www.taosgov.com- 'Select Report a graffiti problem' within Town limits only.
- Take Photos and send to Graffiti Abatement: Town of Taos Planning Department
- Digital photos (no larger than 1MB, please)
- Remove it:
- From your own property, paint it out, or check out a removal kit with solvent from one of 9 fire stations (kits contain solvent to be used to 'wipe-off' graffiti).
- Chronic locations - for your own property, utilize the links above for 'target-hardening' techniques, i.e., tips to make your property more secure and less vulnerable to graffiti and other vandalism.
- Note: All online reports are automatically sent to Graffiti Abatement for referral to responsible agency for removal. Public property is cleaned by a number of agencies, usually those with ownership responsibility (i.e. NM DOT, Town of Taos, Utility Companies)
- By reporting and accurately documenting the "tags", community members help the police and district attorneys build strong cases that will result in prosecution. Repeat offenders are often sentenced to jail time, and are also ordered to pay restitution to the victims. It is also helpful to have community members or businesses willing to testify or come to court for trial or sentencing of a convicted graffiti vandal. Your help is important!
*Useful Phone Numbers
Taos Police Department: 575-758-2216
Taos Graffiti Abatement (Planning Dept.): 575-751-2016
Taos Facilities Department: 575-758-5792